Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Magical BJs

Some people have asked me why I started a Blue Jackets blog since I grew up right outside Chicago and popped out of the womb a Blackhawks fan.

Honestly I didn't see my love of BJs coming. My whole life I have been strictly a Blackhawks and Sabres fan. The rest of the teams in the league could just go pound salt.

On Friday April 1st 2011, my mom and I, all decked out in our Blackhawks gear headed down to Columbus from Akron to root on our lovely Hawks.

The moment we walked through the doors of Nationwide Arena I could feel the magic of the arena. If you know me then you know that when I go to any sporting event the first thing I do is find my seat and scope out the nearest bathroom. I didn't do that this time. I had the urge to walk around and explore. Nationwide Arena is basically a museum for all things Blue Jackets.


You can tell that this venue is strictly a hockey venue. In fact I've never even been to a venue for any sporting event that takes this much pride in their team. This is the kind of venue that will make little kids become hockey fans. After being fascinated with each exhibit, including the drawings on the wall :) , I took my seat directly behind the Blue Jackets bench. The sweetest little kids were standing right in our seats waiting for their favorite players to come out. They made my heart turn into a puddle of gooey happiness. What was even cooler was the amount of players who acknowledged the kids. I've never seen so much love coming out of the locker rooms in my life. 


The best part about sitting within reaching distance of Voracek's beautiful locks is getting to see how the team reacts to the game. Yes there were often times i was distracted because a few guys didn't quite master the art of getting in and out of the bench.....sometimes you just have to use the door. It's ok, just do it, you won't look like an ass lol. I have to tell you these Blue Jackets have heart. I truthfully thought with Mason and Nash out they were going to die a slow painful death on the ice. Boy did they  bring it. In fact I think it's a good thing both of them were out. The Jackets have a lot of talent and now that the season is almost over they need to spend the summer molding that talent into something beautiful. Once this team clicks they will be contenders for the Stanley Cup. I can feel it. 

Here's the other great thing about the team: They are in Ohio.
See I've lived in the Akron/Cleveland area for 15 years. I've tried to get out multiple times and everytime I get sucked back into Ohio. So I figure if I am being held hostage in this state I might as well make the best of it. 

So from here on out I am supporting the Blue Jackets.... well as my number 2 team. 

                                <3 I scream, you scream, we all scream for BJs <3

No comments:

Post a Comment